Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 3: Lake Powell, AZ, Bryce Canyon, UT

Ending the day at sunset driving up the 89 freeway towards Lake Powell was spectacular. We were going to try to make it to Kanab, UT for the night, but made a pact not to drive too far past dark. Just as we were arriving at Lake Powell, the sun went down and a thunderstorm was rolling in. I just didn't want to chance it. My eyes seem to play tricks on me when it gets dark and we were just informed by The Grand Canyon park ranger that the 89 freeway is one of the deadliest in the region. Nope! Not interested. Lake Powell would be the next stop!

I am so glad we decided to stop at Lake Powell. I had no idea what I almost missed. It is amazing. It is 186 miles long and there are 24,322,000 acre feet of water. This is definitely a place I would love to come back to, rent a boat and enjoy a few days exploring all the different coves offered. We stayed in the town of Page, AZ, had a bite of sushi for dinner and headed to bed. The next day was going to be a full day of scenic drives up the 89 into Utah. I wanted to make it to route 12 by noon. Route 12 is often referred to as the most beautiful road in the country. I have been wanting to see this for years.


The day started off slow. I was up early and just learning of Mapi's need for sleep. She doesn't function well without a solid 9-10 hours. 9:00 rolled around, then 10, then 11 and 12:00. She finally woke up! This was a true test of my patience. I tried not to let it bother me, but I'm sure she could tell I was anxious to get on the road. We now only had 7 hours of light and would never make it through route 12 today. This would now push our arrival into Aspen to Saturday.....if that.

Mapi and I have a friend in Aspen that was only available until Sunday when she would be leaving town. I wanted to visit with her. We decided to make the fact that Mapi was with me a surprise to our friend. Now, I'm feeling rushed and pressured to get there in time. I hate that! I wanted to relax and enjoy this journey. Oh well! What will be, will be.



We got on the road, headed up the 89 N to the 14 W, 15 N, then onto the prelude to the most beautiful road in the country, route 143. The freshness of the mountain air as we drove through Brian Head and Lake Navajo was intoxicating. It was cool, crisp and left a hint of pine on your palette.









By the time we made it to route 12 and the entrance to Bryce Canyon, it was already close to 5:30. The sun was going down as we entered the park. It was stunning, breathtaking and awe inspiring. We only made it to a couple view points when the sun made its final show. Bryce Canyon would have to be our stop for the night. We committed to getting up at the crack of dawn the next morning to finish Bryce Canyon and head up route 12. With all of the stops along the way, it is likely to take us the entire day to see route 12.





The thing that has amazed me the most through today's drive, was the sky. The color of blue, we have nicknamed "Super Blue" was majestic..... and the clouds!!!! How I have missed clouds living in LA. We had skies like this in Cincinnati where I grew up. A clear blue backdrop with big, fat, puffy, white clouds. The kind of clouds that you could lay in the grass, stare at the sky and watch as they slowly morph from one shape to another. The kind of clouds that take on the shape of elephants, pirates and teacups. The clouds are another reminder of why I am leaving LA. As Mapi would say, "The clouds give the sky personality".

I am looking forward to the night in Bryce Canyon. It is supposed to be the premiere destination for star gazing. The Utah skies give some of the most spectacular star gazing in the country. When I passed through Utah years ago, I remember so clearly stopping at night and being completely taken aback by how dense and low and completely blanketed the sky was with stars. The only time you can see stars in LA is when passing a red carpet event or crossing a velvet rope. I much prefer these. There is a peace and romance in the skies here. A quiet, calm and innocence. A purity that cleanses the soul.

2 comments:

  1. Chrissy,

    What an amazing adventure you are embarking! I am so happy and excited for you. We're keeping you in our prayers for a safe journey! Thanks for sharing your story with us!

    I love your family's recipe and your Joy's prayer.

    Be safe sweet girl ...

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep writing! lam enjoying the back seat ride of your journey! Hope to meet up w/ you in Italy and/ or NYC ! xo

    ReplyDelete